- Mon, Mar 08Zoom Meeting
- Fri, Mar 12Zoom Meeting
- Fri, Feb 05Zoom Meeting
- Mon, Feb 01Zoom Meeting
- Fri, Dec 04Zoom Meeting
- Wed, Sep 16Zoom meetingSep 16, 2020, 2:00 PM – 4:20 PMZoom meetingCentering Prayer is a simple and accessible modern adaptation of many mystical or contemplative teachings and practices in the Christian tradition. This workshop will help you start this method of silent prayer and plug you in to local community for ongoing support.
- Sat, Jun 01Rochester Mennonite FellowshipJun 01, 2019, 8:45 AM – 1:00 PMRochester Mennonite Fellowship, 111 Hillside Ave, Rochester, NY 14610, USAThis Saturday will be our monthly Practice Immersion. This is a chance to get extra time meditating with a supportive group and listen to a recorded program from Shinzen Young or one of the senior Unified Mindfulness teachers. These are intro level programs and do not require any past background.
- Fri, May 03Spiritus Christi Church
- Mon, Apr 29339 Berkeley St
- Fri, Apr 19Spiritus Christi Church
- Mon, Apr 15339 Berkeley St
- Fri, Apr 12Spiritus Christi Church
- Fri, Mar 15Spiritus Christi Church
- Sat, Mar 02Mennonite Fellowship
- Mon, Feb 11339 Berkeley St
- Sat, Feb 09Mennonite Fellowship
- Fri, Feb 08Spiritus Christi Church
- Fri, Jan 25Spiritus Christi Church
- Mon, Jan 21339 Berkeley Street, Rochester NY
Find here Chris Phillips' personally designed workshops or retreats. Also programs representing Plum Village, Unified Mindfulness or Contemplative Outreach.
Sunlight of the Heart programs take both ancient and modern angles on vipassana style meditation, Zen and contemplative prayer.
Plum Village practices are from the tradition of Vietnamese Meditation Master, Thich Nhat Hanh, in which Chris is ordained. This is his home Buddhist tradition, a garden where many flowers bloom.
Vipassana is characterized by a systematic approach, precise but flexible attention and an orientation to sense experience in the present moment. Programs are skill-driven and practical.
Contemplative prayer is characterized by deepening a relationship with God, the Great Mystery, in the present moment, beyond our images and ideas. Contemplative Outreach exists to teach and support Centering Prayer, a method created by Catholic monks from Spencer Massachusetts in the 1970's. They synthesized teachings from The Cloud of Unknowing and other mystics with current psychology to bring people an accessible modern method to follow ancient ways.
Unified Mindfulness is a modern scientific approach to mindfulness developed by teacher, Shinzen Young. UM offers a complete method anchored in 3 sense modes -- body experience, seeing, and hearing. UM bears fruit in formal stillness and in daily life action. The system teaches a variety of techniques, plus a way of thinking about / discussing all the contemplative practices of the world with clear precision. No matter what your meditation background you can find a creative niche in Unified Mindfulness.
For more info on classes through Unified Mindfulness Rochester please see
Schedule a Coaching Session;
Register for a Program or Class
Please include names and dates of any retreats
see FAQ for more on how to register